Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chance Meeting with President Obama's Dog

Bruins present Mr. Obama with Bruins Jersey
I went to The White House the other day as President Obama honored the Boston Bruins for winning the Stanley Cup.  Aside from goalie Tim Thomas snubbing the team invitation for personal and political reasons, it was a wonderful day.  The President called Brad Marchand "a little ball of hate", told the story of Claude Julien's daughter eating Cheerios out of the Stanley Cup, he even worked the word "wicked" into the conversation--which always goes over well with New Englanders.

Outside front door of White House

NBC News place on "Pebble Beach"


Plenty of people knew I was going to Washington, and they asked me to say hello to Mr. Obama.
The reality is, you really don't get all that close to the President, and he's in and out in about 8-10 minutes.

A couple of people even asked me to say hello to the First Dog, like he too is readily available in the very structured visitor experience.  But as luck would have it, Bo came trotting by the room in the basement where I was interviewing Bruins and team brass.  "Does he just have the run of the place?" I asked a young staffer with Boston roots. "Yep," Brandon said.

Bo, the First Dog, White House Photo


So I saw the man, and his best friend.  It was all very cool.  Bo was bigger than I thought.  Just thought you'd like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment